Stay in Canada
Canada welcomes entrepreneurs from around the world who have the entrepreneurial spirit, skills and experience to bring their business ideas, passion and skills to Canada. If you would like to stay in Canada on a permanent basis, you will need to become a permanent resident. There are federal and provincial programs available to eligible applicants.
Business Immigration Programs
- Have at least two years of full-time work experience in cultural activities, athletics at a world-class level, or self-employment in cultural activities or athletics within the five years before you apply.
- Be willing and have the ability to be self-employed in Canada.
- Meet selection criteria of the program.
Start-up Visa Program is for candidates who already own a business. Foreign entrepreneurs who have applied for permanent residence under the Start-up Visa program can apply for a work permit to allow the candidates to establish their business in Canada while waiting for their permanent residence.
- Have a qualifying business, holding at least 10% of the voting rights attached to all shares of the corporation outstanding at that time (up to 5 people can apply as owners).
- Obtain a letter of support from at least one of the following qualifying designated organizations:
- Venture capital funds
- Angel investor groups
- Business incubators.
- Meet minimum language requirements.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Several of the Canadian provinces and territories nominate qualifying businesspersons for permanent residence. Using this nomination, the businessperson makes an application for permanent residence and may also be eligible for a work permit to enter Canada and begin implementing the business plan. . Applicants are required to meet requirements set by the province of choice, as well as federal admissibility requirements.
There are a range of programs made available by the provinces and territories, and program requirements vary. In general, in addition to other requirements specific to the program, applicants to these programs are required to demonstrate experience as a business owner or senior manager, a certain investment amount, and a certain net worth.
The following provinces and territories have Entrepreneurial Provincial Nominee Programs:
- British Columbia
- Nova Scotia
- New Brunswick
- Prince Edward Island
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- Yukon Territory
We encourage individuals interested in immigrating to Canada based on their accumulated business experience to contact us so that we can assist you in selecting a program which meets your objectives.